[Bitcoin-development] BIP0039: Final call

slush slush at centrum.cz
Mon Jan 20 21:47:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> How are they compatible if they could be using entirely different word
> lists??

Wordlist is necessary for the step [seed]->[mnemonic]. Step
[mnemonic]->[bip32 root] doesn't need any wordlist, there's just hashing
involved.
For this reason client can generate whatever mnemonic and unless all
clients use the same process [mnemonic]->[bip32 root], the result is the
same.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't this be a client-side thing, not
> implemented in the Trezor firmware at all?? O.o;;

Trezor generates the seed and transforms it to mnemonic (which is then
shown on internal display). Generating the mnemonic outside the client-side
(computer) is one of main functionality of Trezor.

slush