[Bitcoin-development] BIP70: PaymentACK semantics

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 12:53:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> Yeah, that's the interpretation I think we should go with for now. There
> was a reason why this isn't specified and I forgot what it was - some
> inability to come to agreement on when to broadcast vs when to submit via
> HTTP, I think.

If the wallet software is doing automatic CoinJoin (for example), then
typically one or several of the other participants will broadcast the
transaction as soon as it is complete.

If the spec said that wallets must not broadcast until they receive a
PaymentACK (if a payment_url is specified), then you'd have to violate the
spec to do CoinJoin.

And even if you don't care about CoinJoin, not broadcasting the transaction
as soon as the inputs are signed adds implementation complexity (should you
retry if payment_url is unavailable? how many times? if you eventually
unlock the probably-not-quite-spent-yet inputs, should you double-spend
them to yourself just in case the merchant eventually gets around to
broadcasting the transaction, or should you just unlock them and squirrel
away the failed Payment so if the merchant does eventually broadcast you
have a record of why the coins were spent).

Gavin Andresen