[Bitcoin-development] BIP70: PaymentACK semantics

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Jan 28 17:33:28 UTC 2014

In practice this should only be an issue if a payment is submitted and
fails, which should be rare. Barring internal server errors and screwups on
the merchants side, the only reasons for a rejection at submit time would
be the imperfect fungibility of bitcoins, e.g. you try and pay with a huge
dust tx or one that's invalid/too low fee/etc.

So I think we have a bit of time to figure this out. But yes - once you
broadcast, you probably accept that there might be a more painful path to
resolve issues if something goes wrong, I guess. Right now BitPay has a
support system where you can file a ticket if you pay the bitcoins and they
don't recognise it or the tx never confirms or whatever. It's grotty manual
work but they do it. Not broadcasting unless you "have" to seems like an
optimisation that can reduce pain without much additional complexity.