[Bitcoin-development] BIP70: PaymentACK semantics

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Thu Jan 30 14:51:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Kevin Greene <kgreenek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Should the wallet broadcast the transaction to the bitcoin network when it
> > receives an ACK, or always assume that the merchant server will do that?

> In my opinion, that should be the primary meaning of receiving an ACK:
> acknowledgement that the receiver takes responsibility for getting the
> transaction confirmed (to the extent possible, of course).

Is this truly the intent?  That the merchant/processor takes full
responsibility for getting the TX confirmed?

It is within the customer's economic incentive -- and right as a free
person -- to work to get their transaction relayed to the network and
confirmed in parallel with whatever the merchant is doing.

BIP 70 states that the customer broadcasts the transaction, in
addition to sending the Payment message.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist