[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin Protocol Specification

sickpig at gmail.com sickpig at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:25:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> Nice work, but please don't call it the "Bitcoin protocol spec". Your
> document is not a spec.

fair objection, fwiw.

> It is an attempt to describe in English the Bitcoin
> protocol, but anyone who implemented it based on your description would get
> it wrong. For example you didn't mention the SIGHASH_SINGLE bug and many
> other important areas like the difficulty transitions are also left
> unspecified.

at the end of the day it's opensource so it could always be improved via pull
request on github.

Krzysztof, in that regard I would add a licence file to make
integration of changes
made by others smoother.

> As a loose description of the protocol for newbies it's an invaluable
> resource and perhaps we should link to it from the developer guide. As
> something that claims to be a specification it is quite possibly dangerous -
> the only spec that matters is the C++ original.

just out of curiosity, do you think it will be possible to create any
other proper
protocol specifications rather than the C++  original?