[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin address TTL & key expiration?

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:19:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at bitpay.com> wrote:
> Proxying another's idea, from CoinSummit.
>
> The request:   It would be useful to limit the lifetime of a bitcoin
> address.  Intentionally prevent (somehow) bitcoins being sent to a
> pubkey/pkh after the key expires.

Payment request expiration was meant to address this.

Adding an optional expiration timestamp to addresses would be
possible, however, it would be a non-backward-compatible change and
lots of software would have to be changed at this point.

In my opinion encouraging the use of the payment protocol and
deprecating the use of addresses is the best way forward, and not just
for this reason.

Wladimir