[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin address TTL & key expiration?

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Jul 15 10:25:02 UTC 2014

> The request:   It would be useful to limit the lifetime of a bitcoin
> address.

Not only useful but essential! Otherwise mobile clients can run out of RAM
and have to cycle around and reuse addresses.

Which is indeed why BIP70 has this feature. It was thought about quite some
time ago. Addresses are an evolutionary dead end, they will never do
everything we need them to do. If there's somewhere that's using addresses,
that's somewhere we will eventually need to upgrade to use BIP70 instead.