[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin address TTL & key expiration?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Tue Jul 15 15:35:03 UTC 2014

This is a well known problem of BIP 70 from day one, because BIP 70
functions at too-low a level.

What needs to be negotiated between parties is a _payment
relationship_ that exchanges HD wallet data. This is what is necessary
to establish and maintain an ongoing payment relationship.

BIP 70 is focused on singular payments with specific outputs and
values.  BIP 70 wants to transmit an actual transaction.  That does
not fit the use cases described.

Adding in a hack that makes zero-valued outputs behave different does
not change the granularity at which BIP 70 operates.

This is a key reason why I have not just ACK'd the BIP 70 subscription
stuff.  Subscriptions are another example of a longer term payment
relationship.  For such case, you want to exchange HD wallet payment
details.  You do not send or receive outputs.  You might not send
transactions directly to the party (coming instead asynchronously &
unpredictably via blockchain).

BIP 70 marries the _relationship_ with payment transmittal, and the
subscription extension does not change that.

Our "contract" language must get a bit smarter, and include HD wallet
payment details, not necessarily focus on outputs.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist