[Bitcoin-development] BIP 38 NFC normalisation issue

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Jul 16 09:12:26 UTC 2014

I'm all for fixing bugs, but I know from bitter experience that outside the
BMP dragons lurk. Browsers don't even expose Unicode APIs at all. You end
up needing to ship an entire pure-js implementation, which can be too large
for some use cases (too much time sunk on that issue in my last job).

I'm hoping BIP 38 doesn't get widely used anyway, to be frank. People
moving private keys around by hand has caused quite a few problems in the
past, sometimes people lost money. It's better to work at the level of a
wallet and ideally ask people to move money using regular transactions. Way
less potential for errors.

Regardless, I'll file a JVM bug and see what the outcome is.