[Bitcoin-development] Draft BIP for geutxos message

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Jul 16 14:39:53 UTC 2014

> On the specific issue I raised, the BIP only says "Querying multiple
> nodes and combining their answers can be a partial solution to this"
> which is not very helpful advice.  That's a partial answer to my
> question #2 with zero response for question #3.

I'm sorry you think it's unhelpful. It is nonetheless the best that can be
done within the constraints of the current Bitcoin protocol.

> This sort of thing really needs a warning label like "use only if you
> don't have a trusted solution" and discussion of that choice is
> completely absent (question #1).

It's absent for the same reason it's absent for all the other protocol
BIPs: the ability to use a trusted third party is always present and a
possible answer for any problem in Bitcoin. So I figured it didn't need
stating.

How about adding the following sentence:

"If the above constraints are insufficient for your use case, you can
alternatively query a block explorer or other trusted third party to obtain
the same information".

Would that make the BIP clearer?