[Bitcoin-development] Pay to MultiScript hash:

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Thu Jul 17 04:52:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Jeremy <jlrubin at mit.edu> wrote:
> Right now, this could be expressed multiple ways (ie, using an op_dup if
> then else chain) , but all would incur additional costs in terms of
> complicated control flows. Instead, I would propose:

Can you quantify "additional costs in terms of complicated control flows"?

> There is an implication in terms of increased utxo pool bloat, but also an
> implication in terms of increased txn complexity (each 20 byte hash allows
> for a 500 byte script, only one of the 500 byte scripts has to be
> permanently stored on blockchain).

When considering these costs, using a normal P2SH output + a script
with OP_IF and friends seems more straightforward?

Doing boolean logic with multisig groups is quite possible, e.g.
"group AND group", "group OR (group AND group)" etc.  Definitely a
valid use case.  I discussed how to do this on IRC with gmaxwell
several months ago.  I call it "multi-multisig" for lack of a better
name.