[Bitcoin-development] Squashing redundant tx data in blocks on the wire

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 22:46:52 UTC 2014

A couple of half-baked thoughts:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Kaz Wesley <keziahw at gmail.com> wrote:

> If there's support for this proposal, I can begin working on the specific
> implementation details, such as the bloom filters, message format, and
> capability advertisment, and draft a BIP once I have a concrete proposal
> for
> what those would look like and a corresponding precise cost/benefit
> analysis.

I'd encourage you to code up a prototype first (or at the same time), in
whatever programming language / networking library you're most familiar
with.

Maybe not even using the existing p2p protocol; there could be a
mining-only very-fast-block-propagation network separate from the existing
p2p network.

Combining your optimizations with "broadcast as many near-miss blocks as
bandwidth will allow" on a mining backbone network should allow insanely
fast propagation of most newly solved blocks.

Gavin Andresen