[Bitcoin-development] Decentralizing ming

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Fri Jul 18 13:44:07 UTC 2014

Yes.  That, and several other things.  If you can figure out how to
propagate a block without re-propagating all the transactions everyone
already has, you address the large-blocks-slower-to-relay problem, and
additionally create an incentive for miners to mine blocks consisting
of publicly broadcast transactions (versus a bunch of secret ones
mined with secret agreements).

Democratizing transaction selection takes a bit of power away from the
miners and gives it back to the network at large.  GBT is another
piece of that puzzle.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist