[Bitcoin-development] Squashing redundant tx data in blocks on the wire

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Fri Jul 18 19:55:52 UTC 2014

Related:  We must handle some legitimate miner-privately-mined cases,
such as miner payout TXs (outside coinbase) or side chain conditional
TXs[1].

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=676703.msg7682680#msg7682680

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Kaz Wesley <keziahw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've updated the gist, and added an additional proposal that I think
> meshes well:
> https://gist.github.com/kazcw/43c97d3924326beca87d#ultra-fast-block-validation
>
> sparseblocks + UFBV would tighten the new-block process to this (when
> txes have been received in advance):
> - receive block (~2kB for 1000 tx)
> - check whether block contains txes known to belong to conflict-sets,
> and if so whether more than one tx from a single conflict-set has been
> included (a few operations on very small sets)
> - relay block (~2kB)
>
> The benefits of these changes only occur when the transactions have
> been seen in advance, but incentivizing ahead-of-block transaction
> propogation is a plus, as Jeff mentioned; working on a block without
> first ensuring peers have its transactions would be very expensive
> from a miner's point of view.

Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/