[Bitcoin-development] Squashing redundant tx data in blocks on the wire

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 01:25:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Emin Gün Sirer <el33th4x0r at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem being tackled here is very similar to "set reconciliation,"
> where
> peer A thinks that the set of transactions that should be in the block is
> S_A,

Most things I've seen working in this space are attempting to minimize
the data transfered. At least for the miner-interested case the round
complexity is much more important because a single RTT is enough to
basically send the whole block on a lot of very relevant paths.

I know much better is possible (see up-thread where I linked to an old
proposal to use forward error correction to transfer with low data
transfer (but not optimal) and negligible probability of needing a
round-trip, with a tradeoff for more overhead for lower roundtrip
probability).