[Bitcoin-development] Trickle and transaction propogation

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Jul 20 22:02:39 UTC 2014

No comment on the proposal itself, which sounds reasonable but I didn't
think about it much yet. Instead, just an observation that by now most
users are not using the Core wallet anymore, but rather use either SPV
wallets or more centralised blockchain/coinbase style gateways to the
network.

SPV wallets don't relay thus you know any tx sent from them must be
originated by that wallet. Centralised services accept tx submissions via
SSL and can easily improve their users privacy by sending transactions out
via a node that isn't listening.

So IMHO we should be optimising the network for the common use case rather
than stuff that only helps Core wallet users, and actively slows down
everyone else. If your proposed techniques let us have our cake and eat it,
fantastic, otherwise I still think we should remove tx trickling.