[Bitcoin-development] Question on creating test cases for block.CheckBlock()

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Jul 22 11:13:50 UTC 2014

There is no infrastructure for writing block chain unit tests
unfortunately. Last time I tried to fix this I ended up going down a rabbit
hole - Bitcoin wasn't written to be a testable codebase and as a result
reinitialising it from scratch is rather difficult (there are lots of
global variables that have to be reset to particular states and no real
list of where they are).

Instead what I ended up doing is extending the pull tester. This is a
bitcoinj based app (BitcoindComparisonTool in the codebase) which builds a
regtest chain and submits it to a local regtest node. It tests things like
reorgs and various rules. It speaks to the node only via P2P so how easy it
is to verify your BIP works will depend on that. Also the code needs
cleaning up, there's a lot of copy/paste coding going on in there.