[Bitcoin-development] # error "Bitcoin cannot be compiled without assertions." <<<<NOT

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Jun 4 10:20:43 UTC 2014

> As a matter of procedure we do not use assertions with side effects— the
> codebase did at one point, but have cleaned them up.  In an abundance of
> caution we also made it refuse to compile without assertions enabled: A
> decision who's wisdom was clearly demonstrated when not long after, some
> additional side-effect having assert was contributed. In the real world
> errors happen here and there, and making robust software involves defense
> in depth.

I think this class of errors could be removed entirely by just saying it's
OK for assertions to have side effects and requiring them to be enabled, as
is currently done.

The glog library:

http://google-glog.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/glog.html

provides CHECK macros that print stack traces when they fail. Using them
would also be good.