[Bitcoin-development] # error "Bitcoin cannot be compiled without assertions." <<<<NOT

Jannis Froese s9jafroe at stud.uni-saarland.de
Wed Jun 4 10:42:37 UTC 2014

There are reasons to have assertions enabled by default in software like
Bitcoin Core, where incorrect behaviour can be costly. But this comes at
a prize: our assertions have to satisfy certain performance
requirements. It's no longer possible to do expensive, redundant checks
in performance critical code, which is one of the main advantages of
asserts. Imho, asserts are not intended for small range checks etc, but
are meant for checks that a hash hasn't changed, that a tree structure
is still a tree, that data is still sorted, or that data structures are
in sync.

I think most concerns about the current use of asserts would be resolved
if the currently used asserts would be changed to a nicer definition
which is independent of NDEBUG, and a second class of debugging asserts
would be introduced, which is exclusively for expensive, redundant
checks and is disabled by NDEBUG.