[Bitcoin-development] NODE_BLOOM service bit

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Jun 6 08:48:52 UTC 2014

Advertising NODE BLOOM as a service sounds good.

But the critique of bloom filters, I am not so sure prefix filters are
better.  Prefix filters offer questionable privacy tradeoffs in my opinion.
Same problem as with stealth address proposed use of prefixes.

All for scalability, efficiency and decentralization but not ideally at the
expense of nuking privacy.  The effects on privacy are cumulative, and
affect everyone not just the user.  Same pattern of local decision, global
effect as with reused addresses.

Adam