[Bitcoin-development] # error "Bitcoin cannot be compiled without assertions." <<<<NOT
jgarzik at bitpay.com
Sat Jun 7 00:57:04 UTC 2014
Speaking very generally, the Linux kernel wisdom on this tends to be,
* Compile in as many cheap, compiler-predictable asserts as possible
into the production runtime.
* Debug builds are of limited value. Users do not recompile software,
just to provide better bug reports/diagnostics.
* Make it as easy as possible for users to send reports that are
useful to programmers.
* Expensive diagnostics are fine. Compile in, but disable by default
at runtime (and make sure these features, when turned off, do not slow
down the system).
* Make sure the assert/dump provides a high level of diagnostics.
Stack trace of each thread + multi-threaded core dump are a good
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc. https://bitpay.com/
More information about the bitcoin-dev