[Bitcoin-development] Bloom bait

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Jun 10 10:41:35 UTC 2014

>  A NODE_BLOOM service bit is a very reasonable
> and simple way to do exactly that, and is defacto what implementations
> that don't support bloom filters do anyway.

BTW, I find it curious that any nodes have code to disconnect peers that
send Bloom filters. It shouldn't be necessary. Bitcoinj is the only large
scale user of filtering and it will disconnect itself if a peer advertises
support for a version lower than 70000. If a node advertises support for
this version or higher then it is supposed to implement BIP37.

It sounds like some node authors decided to advertise support for a
protocol version they didn't bother implementing, which would be a bug.