[Bitcoin-development] instant confirmation via payment protocol backwards compatible proto buffer extension

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Jun 16 12:25:04 UTC 2014

Oh yes the other thing we need to decide is how to extend BIP70.

Protocol buffers have an extend keyword. But I'm not sure it's what we
really want. IMHO a simpler solution is to have a single "living" version
of the protobuf (where? in a new git repo?) which has all the fields
defined by all the accepted BIPs in a single place. Otherwise the build
process and so on for wallet implementors would get unnecessarily
complicated for no real reason. Also if you wanted to pick a new number for
fields, you'd end up having to read *all* BIPs to figure out what is
available. Simpler seems better.

If we do that then I suggest just using field number 8 or 9 or whatever
rather than 1000. IMHO fields 1000+ should be for private extensions that
are unlikely to collide with other users.