[Bitcoin-development] Incentivizing the running of full nodes

Matt Whitlock bip at mattwhitlock.name
Mon Jun 16 16:25:20 UTC 2014

How can there be any kind of lottery that doesn't involve proof of work or proof of stake? Without some resource-limiting factor, there is no way to limit the number of "lottery tickets" any given individual could acquire. The very process of Bitcoin mining was invented specifically to overcome the Sybil problem, which had plagued computer scientists for decades, and now you're proposing a system that suffers from the same problem. Or am I wrong about this?