[Bitcoin-development] instant confirmation via payment protocol backwards compatible proto buffer extension

Lawrence Nahum lawrence at greenaddress.it
Mon Jun 16 17:16:24 UTC 2014

Mike Hearn <mike <at> plan99.net> writes:

> As long as miners stick to Satoshi's first seen rule, which is the
default, it's useful:

> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423.msg3819#msg3819
>

> (this is the famous "snack machine" thread from 2010)
>
> If they decide to change to something like highest-fee-always-wins, then
they (again) centralise things by forcing all instant transactions to pay
GreenAddress and its competitors money - much though I like your product
Lawrence, let's hope they don't collectively lemming us all off a cliff by
doing that ;)

I assume we can't enforce to miners rules about which tx will go in and
which won't and therefore whether this will cause more or less double
spends.

I mean, you can try but I would rather have to option to pick an third party
instant provider explicitly than  enforce bigger rules on mining which would
IMHO lead to implicit centralization.