[Bitcoin-development] Fidelity bonds for decentralized instant confirmation guarantees

Goss, Brian C., M.D. Goss.Brian at mayo.edu
Tue Jun 17 20:40:50 UTC 2014

Can two signed transactions using the same output as an input (ie, a double spend) be used to trigger a third transaction?

It would be nice if I could sign a tx that would pay m bitcoins to an arbitrary address if and only if someone could present proof that I signed more than 1 transaction using the same output. Thus, a merchant could trust that I would not attempt a double spend for a purchase of n < m bitcoins.

Can this type of transaction be expressed in Bitcoin's scripting language?

Chaum had a similar feature in Digicash way back when...a double spend would let the second merchant compute the identity of the double spender and serve as proof of double spending. It didn't automate punishment though!

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.