[Bitcoin-development] instant confirmation via payment protocol backwards compatible proto buffer extension

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Wed Jun 18 01:39:42 UTC 2014

On 6/16/2014 8:48 AM, Mike Hearn wrote:
> In practice of course this is something payment processors like Bitpay
> and Coinbase will think about. Individual cafes etc who are just using
> mobile wallets won't be able to deal with this complexity: if we can't
> make native Bitcoin work well enough there, we're most likely to just
> lose that market or watch it become entirely centralised around a
> handful of payment processing companies.

I have trouble seeing how could the real-time anonymous payments market
can be cleanly separated from everything else.  If trusted third parties
become the norm for that market, there will inevitably be a huge overlap
effect on other markets that bitcoin can serve best, even today.  I
don't see how any currency, any cash, can concede this market.