[Bitcoin-development] BlockPow: A Practical Proposal to prevent mining pools AND reduce payoff variance:

Mark Friedenbach mark at monetize.io
Thu Jun 19 21:07:17 UTC 2014

It's not the pool operator's business what software the miner is running
to select transactions for his block, so long as the miner follows the
template and doesn't generate invalid blocks. We already discussed
invalid blocks, and checking the template requires parsing the coinbase
transaction and verifying the merkleroot. The most expensive operations
are the hashes in the merkleroot verification, but you have to do that
in stratum too because of the extranonce, right?