[Bitcoin-development] Proposed BIP 70 extension

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Tue Jun 24 14:21:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> Wallets would then be able to persist this data to disk and compete on cool visualisations for how much money you saved over time.

heh, this is a cool idea.

It also seems like it would be subject to instant inflation, as it's
unprovable, and a rational economic actor may choose to exaggerate
such numbers.  It also seems collectively rational by some points of
view for all bitcoin actors to inflate this number.

At a minimum, I would either add "marketing_" to the field name
itself, or include additional comment caveats noting in BOLD language
that this field is informational, and should not be relied upon for
accounting/auditing purposes.

It just seems like a statistic that everyone has an incentive to exaggerate.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist