[Bitcoin-development] Proposed BIP 70 extension

Gmail will.yager at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 15:15:10 UTC 2014

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 10:32, slush <slush at centrum.cz> wrote:
>
> Sounds like marketing bullshit to me. It does not have even statistical meaning; well, you can "save" a lot of satoshis, but nobody tell you that the merchant cut you on BTC/USD exchange rate in tens of %.

People would also abuse this feature in the same way amazon (and other sales sites) abuse the definition of "save". For example, Amazon will indicate that you're getting x% off by shopping at amazon, but all that number really means is x% off MSRP. In reality, every website has the same price. I have no doubt that merchants would put similarly meaningless and/or misleading data in this field.

I agree, the memo field is appropriate for this data.