[Bitcoin-development] BIP70 extension to allow for identity delegation

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Sun Mar 2 15:20:34 UTC 2014

I somehow think that it is too early for this heavy kind of extension,
given that the first version of BIP70 isn't even deployed widely let
alone *used*.

By reading your proposal I get the idea that the current spec doesn't
allow two (or three) different PKIs at once -- we would want this for
migration purposes as you wrote and also because different people prefer
different kinds of PKIs. And that's perhaps something we want to fix in
the current (version 1) spec to prevent us running into a wall and be
doomed to patch around the spec. Note I assume a potential PGP or
Bitcoin-based infrastructure would also be called 'PKI'.

I would prefer if your fix would stay local to X.509 (and thus only
change X.509 specific structs rather than the top-level PaymentRequest).
And for a future PKI we would implement identity delegation in a
straight forward, non-kludgy way.