[Bitcoin-development] Stealth Addresses

Dan Carter carterd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:23:40 UTC 2014

I think stealth addresses combined with zk-snarks would obviate the need
for CoinJoin.  zk-snarks could be used to hide the coin's value and
stealth addresses could be used to hide the recipient for payments and
even mined coins.  More info on zero-knowledge snarks:

http://cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/vnsnark-20131230.pdf
http://cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/csnark-20131007.pdf

Start with a mined coin: generate a coin secret, create a coinbase
transaction with an output to your stealth address and send
hash(coin-secret + reward-value) + encrypt(coin-secret + reward-value)
where only the recipient (you) can decrypt. (The reward value is known
publicly but just assume it isn't here for generality). You also embed
the 0.2KB zk-snark proof + 3KB verifying key that the hash result is in
fact SHA256(coin-secret + reward-value), where your private witnesses
are (coin-secret, reward-value).

Now you could split a coin into as many pieces as you want in a single
transaction and send to multiple recipients, some pieces go to yourself
(change) and others to the payee, every piece would have a different
recipient address thanks to stealth addresses, and all values hidden
thanks to zk-snarks.

So lets say you want to split the mined coin into two new ones.  You
create a transaction where the input redeems the mined coin using mined
tx out + your stealth address, and there are two new coins as outputs to
your own stealth address each having: hash(new-coin-secret +
new-hidden-value) + encrypt(new-coin-secret + new-hidden-value).  You
also embed the zk-snark proof that the two new hidden values add up to
the original hidden value, and that the two new hash results are in fact
SHA256(new-coin-secret + new-hidden-value), where your private witnesses
are (original-coin-secret, original-hidden-value, new-coin-secrets,
new-hidden-values).

If you want to merge two coins into one it's just a split backwards, two
inputs one output, zk-snark proof that two original hidden values add up
to the new hidden value and that the new hash result is
SHA256(new-coin-secret + new-hidden-value).

If you want to transfer ownership of a coin then just redeem at input,
and output same as mined coin except using recipient stealth address
(which is a public key) to encrypt(coin-secret + hidden-value).

- Dan