[Bitcoin-development] Is this a safe thing to be doing with ECC addition? (Oracle protocol)

Edmund Edgar ed at realitykeys.com
Sat Mar 8 06:55:18 UTC 2014

On 4 March 2014 14:07, Odinn Cyberguerrilla <odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
> wrote:

> Nothing is safe.

This is true. To rephrase, imagine I gave you an ECC public key <ed_pub>,
you gave me back a public key <odinn_pub> of your own devising, then I paid
some money to the address resulting from add_pubkeys(<ed_pub>,<odinn_pub>)
[1]. Can anyone either:

a) Think of a way that Odinn could make an <odinn_pub> such that they could
spend the resulting money without having <ed_priv>.
b) Opine, somewhat knowledgeably, that this probably wouldn't be an easy
thing to do, and they wouldn't be alarmed to see people running software
that did this kind of thing.

[1]
https://github.com/vbuterin/pybitcointools/blob/master/pybitcointools/main.py#L173

--