[Bitcoin-development] Multisign payment protocol?

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 02:35:52 UTC 2014

I might as well throw in a word about Armory.  After our next release in
a couple weeks, we will be going full-speed at new wallets and BIP32
integration.  Just like Jean-Pierre mentioned, we'll be using parallel
trees to generate P2SH addresses after sorting the keys
lexicographically.  We plan to introduce the concept of a wallet
"bundle" (that name is far from concrete... I'd love a better word).
All wallets in a bundle are protected by the same backup, and stored in
the same file.  The default behavior will be use new branches in the
same BIP32 tree when a user creates a new "wallet", though we will allow
multiple bundles in advanced and expert usermode (which is needed to
have watching-only wallets from a different seed created from an offline
computer).

However, we do plan to allow separate parties to create
multisig-intended wallets with public parts that can be exported and
combined with other users.  We feel this is critical, as it allows for
linked wallets in which there was never a single-point of failure from
key-generation to signing.  This is especially important for contexts
where employees may be handling a company's Bitcoins wallets.

On this topic, I have gotten a lot of inquiries into BIP 38 and 39.  I
was not clear whether those BIPs were worth prioritizing ... i.e. is
there a general consensus from a variety of wallet developers that they
should be supported?  Rather, I'm happy to start prioritizing them if
others do too, but I haven't spent much time trying to understand them
to even know if they're mature, yet.

-Alan