[Bitcoin-development] [RFC] Proposal: Base58 encoded HD Wallet root key with optional encryption

Gary Rowe g.rowe at froot.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 16:49:09 UTC 2014

Jean-Paul, it may be worth noting that the BIP39 word list is integrated
into Bitcoinj so will likely become the de facto standard for Android,
Trezor web and several desktop wallets. Anyone deviating from that word
list would likely find themselves in an isolated pocket.

Regarding the timestamp, MultiBit HD uses a simple timestamp of "number of
days since midnight of Bitcoin genesis block in UTC with modulo 97 checksum
appended". Thus a new seed generated on 27 January 2014 would have
"1850/01" as its checksum. When creating a new wallet the users are tested
that they have written the timestamp down along with the associated
12/18/24 words.

Modulo 97 was chosen since it catches about 99% of errors.