[Bitcoin-development] moving the default display to mbtc

Allen Piscitello allen.piscitello at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:55:58 UTC 2014

Mike is making an assumption that is not necessary, which is the price of
the most commonly used unit should be between is $.50 and $1000.  The issue
to revisit or not shouldn't require $1,000,000 Bitcoin price.  Typing a ton
of decimals is incredibly annoying.  Doing the mental math in my head is
annoying.  Even if a cup of coffee costs 3.12345 mBTC, that's a lot more
annoying than 3123.45 uBTC.

The points that people liked mBTC better than BTC doesn't mean anything
when comparing uBTC to mBTC.  Many people just stopped thinking at the mBTC
level, do not understand the implications involved in switching to uBTC, or
even considered uBTC.  The idea that we can just poll what people want to
give them the ideal experience is also flawed, in that users often don't
know what they want until they have it in front of them.

There is basically no downside to uBTC, except a few places already
switched to mBTC.  For exchanges, which are dealing with decimals since
they will do BTC/USD rather than the opposite, it might make sense for them
to continue to use mBTC or BTC.  For wallets and prices for users,
especially when there are large decimals since the price is still based on
more stable currencies, then converted to Bitcoin, let's switch to what is
easiest.

I haven't seen a single good argument for keeping it in mBTC (other than
some people already did it).  On the other hand, I've seen numerous great
reasons for switching to uBTC.

My two cents.