[Bitcoin-development] moving the default display to mbtc

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:58:05 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 01:51 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:

>     Well it looks like the consensus is to do it, instead of talking
>     about it.  I'm going to make sure we get uBTC into the next Armory
>     release.
>

> Hmm - be careful with the word "consensus" here. A bunch of people on
> a mailing list does not make consensus ;)
>
> If you survey other wallets, you'll find most already switched to
> mBTC, that it took some effort to do so (look at the size of the
> patches for instance) and that probably, nobody is super-keen to
> change again so soon. So uBTC would make you different to most of the
> other wallets and services in wide usage.
>
> If Armory wants to do that, that's no problem, maybe it will be a
> competitive advantage - just saying, don't quote this thread as
> indicating some kind of community consensus.
>
> Wallets and services that are using mBTC (that I know of)
>
> blockchain.info <http://blockchain.info>
> MultiBit
> Bitcoin Wallet (Android)
> Hive
> Bitcoinity
> KnC Wallet (defaults to BTC but can be switched to mBTC in settings,
> uBTC not an option)
> Mullvad
> btcstore.eu <http://btcstore.eu>
>
> Doing a google search for [bitcoin "mBTC"] and [bitcoin "uBTC"], the
> former has a bunch of sites and services with prices in mBTC. The
> latter only has faucets, as far as I can tell, which sort of makes sense.

I actually was not aware that so many had already switched to mBTC.   I
guess it shows how much I use other wallets.

You misunderstood my "consensus" comment.   I was simply stating the
"consensus" of debating on the mailing list endlessly is not as
effective as doing it.  Thus I was just going to do it and see who
follows.  But that also assumed there was not a critical mass who'd
already switched -- I must admit I'm not so confident anymore...

I am/so strongly opposed //to mBTC /compared to uBTC, I was ready to
take a small leap of faith (with associated risks), to help push the
"consensus".  Of course it would still remain configurable, but the
default will make a big difference.

-Alan