[Bitcoin-development] moving the default display to mbtc

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Mar 14 15:32:55 UTC 2014

The issue here is that most people are producing prices in BTC by just
multiplying through the spot rate with full precision. Obviously if you
converted dollar prices to Euro prices with the same technique, you'd also
end up with lots of numbers after the decimal point, but in the real world
nobody actually does this. They always "prettify" the price.

This practice often annoys people because they feel like they get short
changed. The most notorious example is Apple which likes (liked?) to charge
99 cents per iTunes song in the USA, and 99 pennies per song in the UK,
despite that the British pound is worth a lot more than the dollar. It
should be more like 60 pence.

Nothing stops BitPay rounding the mBTC price to look more natural, but
right now it's not common practice.