[Bitcoin-development] [QT] how to disable block verification for faster UI testing?

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:22:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Angel Leon <gubatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> the command line options mention a -checklevel  parameter.
> I've been passing 0 assuming there'd be little to no verification, but
> it's happened a few times that when I open the official binary (while not
> doing development) there's some sort of database corruption and Bitcoin-Qt
> needs to reindex blocks on disk, a process that can take probably a whole
> day.
>
> how do you guys develop the UI and avoid these issues?

In general I do very little with the database while developing the UI. I
have various seperate bitcoin data directories (both testnet and mainnet)
to try things out. Before doing something risky I just make a copy.

These days I also do a lot of development with -regtest, as it allows
quickly setting up test scenarios.

What are you trying to test specifically? The progress bar while reindexing?

If you have database problems are you perhaps switching between 0.8.x and
0.9.x with the same directory? In that case see the downgrading warning
here: https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.0/README.txt .

Wladimir