[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol for Face-to-face Payments

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Mar 20 18:31:27 UTC 2014

With Java, in theory, you can use SSLSocketFactory.createSocket(btsocket,
address, 1234, true) to wrap a bluetooth socket in SSL. However I have not
tried it.

For now, just prototype and build your product without the security. We can
find someone to experiment with this, if you don't want to .

Bluetooth needs encryption and MACs as well as signing to be secure,
because there could be radio MITM. Yes, this overlaps somewhat with the PKI
signing in BIP70, but not entirely - you might want to serve unsigned
payment requests, but still have confidentiality and authenticity for a
local face to face transaction. The signing and encryption does different
things.