[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol for Face-to-face Payments

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Sat Mar 22 16:35:43 UTC 2014

Let's not pull out silly examples.  Of course you can find locations
that lack Internet.

Those locations are completely unsuitable to bitcoin transactions,
since the receiver cannot verify double-spending or anything else
about the transaction.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Alex Kotenko <alexykot at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yes.  Internet connectivity is not a rarity these days.  Near-field
>> > web servers also work fine.
>>
>> Unfortunately it still is. At least here in Germany.
>
> Yes, it is a problem. Even in the middle of London you often can get into
> situation when cellphone network connectivity is not good enough for quick
> and reliable payment. Basement pubs, old buildings with thick walls,
> overcrowded places with overloaded radio environment. We should not rely on
> mobile connectivity in things like making payments.

Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/