[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol for Face-to-face Payments

Mark Friedenbach mark at monetize.io
Sat Mar 22 16:55:18 UTC 2014

Jeff, there are *plenty* of places that lack local Internet access for
one or both participants.

Obviously making the case where both participants lack access to the
bitcoin network is difficult to secure, but not impossible (e.g. use a
telephany-based system to connect to a centralized double-spend
database, as VISA does).

I expect the case where one participant has Internet access (the
merchant) and the other does not to be very, very common. The majority
of transactions I do on a daily basis are like this, and I live in
Silicon Valley!