[Bitcoin-development] New side channel attack that can recover Bitcoin keys

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:50:02 UTC 2014

Y'all are getting deep into tinfoil-wearing-hat-conspiracy-theory territory.

If you are worried about the NSA compromising your hardware or software,
then use multisig transactions and
sign on diverse hardware/software stacks. Generate the multiple private
keys on different hardware/software
stacks, too.

Or, in other words, eliminate the single point of failure and you will
mitigate whole families of possible attacks,
from "NSA compromised the hardware random number generator in my CPU" to
"NSA is listening to EMF
radiation coming from my dedicated server in my data center" to the much
more likely "data center employee
is tricked into letting somebody have access to my dedicated server."

Gavin Andresen