[Bitcoin-development] Tree-chains preliminary summary

Ricardo Filipe ricardojdfilipe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:40:40 UTC 2014

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 08:45:00AM -0400, Gavin Andresen wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Bitcoin doesn't scale. There's a lot of issues at hand here, but the
>> > most fundemental of them is that to create a block you need to update
>> > the state of the UTXO set, and the way Bitcoin is designed means that
>> > updating that state requires bandwidth equal to all the transaction
>> > volume to keep up with the changes to what set. Long story short, we get
>> > O(n^2) scaling, which is just plain infeasible.
>> >

>> We have a fundamental disagreement here.
>>
>> If you go back and read Satoshi's original thoughts on scaling, it is clear
>> that he imagined tens of thousands of mining nodes and hundreds of millions
>> of lightweight SPV users.
>
> Yeah, about that...
>
> https://blockchain.info/pools

On-topic:
This argument is quite the fallacy. The only reason we have that few
pools is because each of their miners doesn't find it feasible to mine
"on their own". if you count the individual miners on those pools you
will get to the scale Gavin was trying to point out.

Nevertheless i think that is just a minor disagreement, since tree
chains help decentralization.