[Bitcoin-development] BIP 70 refund field

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Fri Mar 28 20:56:57 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 07:19 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:

>> Ok, why don't fix this in the spec for now, by defining a fixed expiry
>> time. In the EU, most products are covered by a 2 years warranty, so it
>> seems appropriate to pick 2.5 years (30 months) -- allowing for some
>> time to ship the product back and forth.
>
> Yeah I was thinking something like that on the walk home. But 2 years is
> a long time. Do we have enough RAM for that?

It depends on usage stats, script size, etc...

> Plus warranties usually
> result in the defective goods being replaced rather than a monetary
> refund, right?

Usually yes. The next smaller "unit of time" in Germany would be two
weeks, the so-called "Fernabsatzgesetz". It allows you to send back
mail-orders and usually you want the money back. Don't know if that made
it into EU law or how it applies to other countries.