[Bitcoin-development] Presenting a BIP for Shamir's Secret Sharing of Bitcoin private keys

Chris Beams chris at beams.io
Sat Mar 29 09:21:16 UTC 2014

Matt, could you expand on use cases for which you see Shamir's Secret Sharing as the best tool for the job? In particular, when do you see that it would be superior to simply going with multisig in the first place? Perhaps you see these as complimentary approaches, toward defense in depth? In any case, the Motivation and Rationale sections of the BIP in its current form are silent on these questions.