[Bitcoin-development] Presenting a BIP for Shamir's Secret Sharing of Bitcoin private keys

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Mar 29 13:36:07 UTC 2014

Right - the explanation in the BIP about the board of  directors is IMO a
little misleading. The problem is with splitting a private key is that at
some point, *someone* has to get the full private key back and they can
then just remember the private key to undo the system. CHECKMULTISIG avoids
this.

I can imagine that there may be occasional uses for splitting a wallet seed
like this, like for higher security cold wallets, but I suspect an ongoing
shared account like a corporate account is still best off using
CHECKMULTISIG or the n-of-m ECDSA threshold scheme proposed by Ali et al.