[Bitcoin-development] secure assigned bitcoin address directory

Chris D'Costa chris.dcosta at meek.io
Mon Mar 31 11:14:49 UTC 2014

Security of transmission of person-to-person pay-to addresses is one of the use cases that we are addressing on our hardware wallet.

I have yet to finish the paper but in a nutshell it uses a decentralised ledger of, what we refer to as, "device keys".

These keys are not related in any way to the Bitcoin keys, (which is why I'm hesitating about discussing it here) neither do they even attempt to identify the human owner if the device. But they do have a specific use case and that is to provide "advanced knowledge" of a publickey that can be used for encrypting a message to an intended recipient, without the requirement for a third-party CA, and more importantly without prior dialogue. We think it is this that would allow you to communicate a pay-to address to someone without seeing them in a secure way.

As I understand it the BlockChain uses "time" bought through proof of work to establish a version of the truth, we are using time in the reverse sense : advanced knowledge of all pubkeys. Indeed all devices could easily check their own record to identify problems on the ledger.

There is of course more to this, but I like to refer to the "distributed ledger of device keys" as the "Web-of-trust re-imagined" although that isn't strictly true.

Ok there you have it. The cat is out of the bag, feel free to give feedback, I have to finish the paper, apologies if it is not a topic for this list.

Regards

Chris D'Costa