[Bitcoin-development] A statistical consensus rule for reducing 0-conf double-spend risk

Christophe Biocca christophe.biocca at gmail.com
Sun May 4 02:54:26 UTC 2014

Unfortunately this could fork the network permanently, which is much
worse than a double spend. There's no magic way to have a consensus,
so it becomes trivial with a few tries to split the network into two
halves: (tx1 before tx2, tx2 before tx1). Some nodes in the middle
will accept either block, but you've still forked off some non-zero
number of nodes.

At a minimum, you'd need a way to reconcile the split (Accept the
offending block once it's 2+ deep). The problem is that since the rule
isn't enforceable, no miner will wait before mining on the longest
chain (which is the rational move), and you're back to where we are
now.