[Bitcoin-development] Proposal for extra nonce in block header

Timo Hanke timo.hanke at web.de
Sun May 4 16:08:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 05:26:06PM +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Although I agree 32 bits for a version is overkill, I really don't like the
> idea of you simply ignoring the protocol spec to try and reduce your own costs.

The purpose of the proposal is to change the protocol spec, not to
ignore it.

The argument for the proposal is explained in the Rationale section, and
in abstracted form means precisely to make everybody follow the protocol
spec by reducing incentives to ignore it. Specifically, it is about
protecting the timestamp field.

I talked about relative costs involved in hashing, and how those will
change, and what incentives that creates. This development cannot be
ignored.

> Especially because in future we should make unknown versions a validation rule,
> so we can easily trigger hard forks.

Why does it require 32 bits?

> If this change was introduced through a proper process and software was
> properly upgraded to understand the new header format, that'd be one thing.
> Arbitrarily exploiting what is IMHO a missing rule in the rule set to shave a
> bit more profit is something else.

Again, this is a BIP. I am proposing a software upgrade, which is
absolutely required. When I said that version 3 is not required I meant
that the software upgrade (which basically just turns the nonce into a
short) does not have to be accompanied by a new version number for any
technical reason. Is there another reason why it should be incremented?

> [...]
>     >
>     >     While the block header is hashed by ASICs, pre-hashing typically
>     happens on
>     >     a CPU because of the greater flexibility required.
>     >     Consequently, as ASIC cost per hash performance drops the relative
>     cost of
>     >     pre-hashing increases.
>     >
>     >     This creates an incentive for miners to find cheaper ways to create
>     new
>     >     work than by means of pre-hashing.
>     >     An example of this currently happening is the on-device rolling of
>     the
>     >     timestamp into the future.
>     >     These ways of creating new work are unlikely to be in the best
>     interest of
>     >     the protocol.
>     >     For example, rolling the timestamp faster than the real time is
>     unwanted
>     >     (more so on faster blockchains).
>     >
>     >     The version number in the block header is a possible target for
>     alteration
>     >     with the goal of cheaply creating new work.
>     >     Currently, blocks with arbitrarily large version numbers get relayed
>     and
>     >     accepted by the network.
>     >     As this is unwanted behaviour, there should not exist any incentive
>     for a
>     >     miner to abuse the version number in this way.
>     >
>     >     The solution is to reduce the range of version numbers from 2^32 to 2
>     ^16
>     >     and to declare the third and forth bytes of the block header as
>     legitimate
>     >     space for an extra nonce.
>     >     This will reduce the incentive for a miner to abuse the shortened
>     version
>     >     number by a factor in the order of 2^16.
>     >
>     >     As a side effect, this proposal greatly reduces the bandwidth
>     requirements
>     >     of a blind pool protocol by only submitting the block header to the
>     miner.
>     >     # Backwards Compatibility
>     >     Old versions of the client will accept blocks of this kind but will
>     throw
>     >     an alert at the user to upgrade.
>     >     The only code change would be a cast of the version number to a
>     short.
>     >     Besides the upgrade alert, old and new versions of the client can
>     co-exist
>     >     and there is no need to introduce a new block version number or to
>     >     phase-out old block versions.
>     >     # Reference Implementation
>     >     # Final implementation
>     >
>     >
>     > If changing the structure of the block header, wouldnt you also need to

Timo Hanke
PGP 1EFF 69BC 6FB7 8744 14DB  631D 1BB5 D6E3 AB96 7DA8